Thursday, March 18, 2021

Reflections

Reflections in relation to my earlier post "Traveling on the Road" which needs to be read before this one. 

My experience occurred while on the road. The Sabbath had just ended, it was very early morning and completely dark outside. The first hour of this new day had commenced, and I was driving my truck and concentrating on the road, my mind completely lucid, for the long trip back to my house. I was certainly not expecting what took place.

The experience of conversing with the Lord was so casual and personal. There was no title/rank being held over me requiring my deference and subjugation. I've been in the military my entire adult life and know that environment very well. Being with Him was the complete opposite experience. It felt more like being with a peer than a superior, which is a remarkable thing to say about being in the presence of God, but nonetheless true. As much love, kindness, and respect as I felt for Him, He returned to me more. Sometimes when it was my turn to speak it took a moment for me to gather the words, and He patiently waited and then listened. 

He treated me like one who belonged in His company, and when instructing treated me as a peer. Again, even as I type this, it astounds me. To speak to Him as one speaks to another is more than just using the same language, it is intimate, with familiar vocabulary and expressions. As a result, conversing with Him is natural and easy with no miscommunications, misunderstandings or awkwardness. The conversation flows delightfully and is pleasing. 

The Lord has a wonderful sense of humor. I laughed several times. I've debated whether to share this. I hesitate because I don't want it to sound irreverent or paint the wrong picture. His use of humor to create joy and be instructive at the same time displayed to me just how intelligent He is in every facet. It is important to know that He has a personality, as unique and individual to Him, just as you have a personality, with all your -isms that define who you are. He is not an abstraction of perfect attributes drifting about in banality. He is a real person, He is an individual. He has mannerisms and expressions. Now that I have encountered His personality and individuality, my perspective on life itself has changed. I'll write more about that in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't desire to have a running conversation or commentary via the blog comments. If you would like to contact me to discuss anything, please use my email: jfdippold@pm.me

If email does not suffice, we can chat on the phone or Zoom sometime. Contact me on email and we can set it up.
Thanks, Jonathan Dippold

Covenant of Christ: A Modern English Version of the Book of Mormon

The completion of a project to modernize the language of the Book of Mormon was announced yesterday.  Here is the website to read about the ...